Travelling to and from Junior Grammar
Junior Grammar shares a campus with the heritage-listed Ipswich Girls’ Grammar School (IGGS), in the heart of Ipswich overlooking Bremer River. We are on the corner of Queen Victoria Parade and Chermside Road, East Ipswich. Our main entrance and Visitor Car Park is accessible from Torch Street.
Drop Off and Pick Up Zone
Ring Road is our dedicated, fully supervised, drive-in, drop off and pick up zone for Junior Grammar students and is accessible from Torch Street. To keep traffic flowing, we ask parents to keep their engines running while students disembark or get into their car. To ensure all our students stay safe, please do not park or leave your car. Limited visitor parking is available via the Torch Street entrance.
Dedicated Bus Service
Junior Grammar provides a private bus charter service for students from Years 1 to 6 that we share with Ipswich Girls’ Grammar School and our brother school, Ipswich Grammar School. Each year, our bus routes are revised in consideration of where our students live and how many stops/pick-up points can be accommodated along a route. For ease, the cost of bus transport is charged to your Junior Grammar account. Buses deliver students in time for the 8.15am start of the school day and depart from the School shortly after 3pm. Late buses, departing at 4.30pm, are available Monday to Thursdays for students who participate in activities after school.
Our buses service the following areas:
Transfer Service – IGGS to IGS to IGGS
Late Bus A – Karana Downs, Anstead, Bellbowrie, Kenmore, Chapel Hill
Late Bus B – Redbank Plains, Redbank, Wacol, Centenary Suburbs
Late Bus C – Augustine Heights, Brookwater, Springfield, Greenbank
Late Bus D – Goodna, Forest Lake, Inala, Sunnybank, Calamvale, Parkinson, Algester
Please click here to view our 2022 bus fares. Contact Ms Lynette Hill on 07 3454 4434 for further details of timetables and fares. All current students and new students who wish to use this shared charter bus service should complete a Bus Service Application Form and return it to Ms Lynette Hill.
Prep Students on Buses
At Ipswich Girls’ Grammar School/Ipswich Junior Grammar School we take students’ safety on buses very seriously. In order for a Prep student to catch a bus to or from the School safely, the following conditions apply:
- The student must have an older sibling (older by at least 2/3 years) who catches the same bus.
- If the Prep student does not have an older sibling attending IGGS/IJGS, parents/guardians may make a private arrangement with a student (and her parent) who attends this School and lives in the child’s neighbourhood. The name of the student must be given to the Head of the Junior School before the Prep student commences travelling on the School bus.
- A parent/guardian must put the student on the bus in the morning and be at the bus stop when the bus arrives at the home stop in the afternoon.
- The School will make arrangements, through Out of School Care (OSHC), to ensure the student is on the bus in the afternoons; however, in the mornings, the student will need to be taken by the older sibling or student to the OSHC Centre.
- Once on the bus, the child must remain seated at the front of the bus.
- Parents/guardians should acknowledge that it is not the responsibility of other older students on the bus (other than the sibling) to supervise the Prep students on the bus or on the way to the OSHC Centre.
- The School would prefer that:
- the Prep child waits until Semester 2 before commencing bus travel.
- travel on the bus does not exceed 30 minutes either to or from the School.
Parents/guardians should prepare the Prep student for bus travel, eg:
- ensure the Prep student understands the appropriate behaviour expected on the bus.
- bus-safety: explain how it is important to remain in the sight of the bus driver whilst on the bus and when getting on and off it.
- encourage the Prep student to feel comfortable and confident about traveling without an adult to and from the School.
All parents considering their Prep children for bus-travel must make an appointment with the Head of the Junior School to discuss these conditions before applying for places on any IGGS/IJGS bus route. They must complete the Prep Student Bus Travel acknowledgement form and take it to the appointment.
Premier Coaches now have an app, TransportMe Passenger which allows for tracking of your child’s school bus on your mobile phone. You can set up notifications for when your child is close to their stop or track the bus on the map. For basic instructions click here and for further information on bus routes please visit www.stonestreetscoaches.com.au/schools/school-bus-routes/ipswich.
TransportMe Smart Cards
Smart Cards will be issued as soon as possible after the commencement of the new school year, or as soon as possible for mid-term intakes. Students must carry their TransportMe Smart Card at all times to enable them to tap their cards as they board and disembark the bus. Read more about our TransportMe Smart Cards.
Education Queensland and Queensland Transport also coordinate bus services that IGGS/IJGS students may share with students attending other schools in the local area. Parents should contact the relevant bus company for more information if they would like their child to travel on buses servicing these areas:
Westside Bus Service
Phone: 07 3288 1333 or 07 3288 7399
Camira, Carole Park, Collingwood Park, Gailes, Goodna, Redbank, Springfield
Please refer to the Westside Bus Service website for route details.
Southern Cross Transit
Phone: 07 3813 8900
Barellan Point, Chuwar, Karalee, Mt Crosby, Karana Downs
Please refer to the Southern Cross Transit website for route details.
Amberley Rosewood Bus Company
Phone: 07 3281 2551
Amberley, Winston Glades, Yamanto, Churchill
Minden Bus Service
Phone: 07 5426 8102
Minden and surrounding areas
Please refer to the Minden Bus Service facebook page for more details.
For more information or assistance regarding timetables and fares please contact:
Ms Lynette Hill
Tel: (07) 3454 4434